serves:Makes 4 cups
time:Prep: 20 min.
On the table: 35 min.
- ¼ cup Demerara sugar (granulated can be substituted)
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 3 tbsp honey
- ¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- pinch ground cayenne
- 1 lb mixed raw nuts (combination of unroasted cashews, whole unblanched almonds, pecan halves, pistachios, hazelnuts; about 4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and salt and set aside.
- Combine honey, black pepper, cumin, coriander, paprika and cayenne in a bowl and mix well. Add mixed nuts and stir to thoroughly coat. Spread nut mixture evenly in a single layer on prepared sheet pan and bake until toasted and fragrant, about 10 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool until barely warm, then transfer to sugar mixture and toss to evenly coat. Return to sheet pan and cool completely. Transfer to airtight container or divide nuts into two portions and package for gift giving. Nuts will keep 5 days at room temperature, tightly sealed.
Chef’s Tip: Demerara sugar is a raw golden-brown sugar with a crunchy texture. Look for it in the sugar aisle. Turbinado is another raw sugar and can also be used.
Substitution Options: Hulled green pumpkin seeds, roasted soy nuts, small pretzel twists or popcorn can be substituted in this recipe for nut-free gift giving. Cooking times may need to be adjusted slightly if making substitutions.