When I gave birth to our second born, JJ, many members from our church family came and brought us meals so I wouldn’t have to figure out how to cook with a newborn in my arms and a toddler at my feet.
One of the most FAVOURITE meals we received was a vegetable and cheese tortellini dish. As I have been working on putting together my menu plan this month, I came across the recipe in an e-mail and knew I just had to add it up here!
Quid Pro Quo – Vegetable and Cheese Tortellini Casserole
From Anne Lindsay
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 each medium onion, carrot,sweet green pepper, red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz) tomato paste
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 lb cheese filled tortellini
- 1 cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, onion, carrot, peppers, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, stirring, for 5 mins. or until softened.
2. Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to biol. Reduce heat ans simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 mins. or until thickened. Stir in corn.
3. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling water, cook tortellini for 8 to 10 mins. or according to package directions. Drain and add to tomato sauce; pour into 13X9 oinch (3L) shallow baking dish.
4. Toss together mozzarella, parmesan, parsley; sprinkle over casserole. Bake uncovered in 400F (200C) oven for 15 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
MAKE AHEAD: Through step 3, cover and refreigerate for up to 2 days, remove from fridge 45 mins before baking.